So lamingtons are a traditional Australian history food that is made from squares of sponge cake, Which is coated in chocolate and then rolled in shredded coconut. They are typically served as a dessert or snack and are often made at home during the Christmas season.
But making lamingtons at home is quite easy, and only requires a few simple ingredients. So start by preparing a sponge cake using your favorite recipe (or even a store-bought mix). If once the cake is baked and cooled, Then cut it into small squares.
When melting some chocolate in a bowl or saucepan. Then you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate for this step. If once the chocolate is melted, dip each square of cake into the chocolate, making sure to coat it completely. Then, roll the coated cake in shredded coconut. So place it on a wire rack or plate to set, and then enjoy.
History of lamingtons:
These are popular Australian dessert that consists of sponge cake coated in chocolate and shredded coconut. However, the dessert is thought to have been created in the late 19th century, Then gets its name from Lord Lamington, the Governor of Queensland from 1895 to 1901.
They are typically made by cutting sponge cake into small squares, then dipping them in chocolate sauce, and then rolling them in shredded coconut. But some recipes also call for the addition of raspberry jam or cream inside the cake before it is dipped in chocolate.
While they are most commonly associated with Australia, That’s why it also becomes popular in New Zealand and South Africa. In Australia, They are often served as part of a morning or afternoon tea and are also a famous school lunchbox treat.
- So here are just a few benefits of making lamingtons at home:
- They are relatively cheap to make. So all you need are some simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
- While they are a great way to use up leftover cake or bread. If you have a cake or loaf of bread that is starting to go stale, Then it is the perfect way to give it new life.
- If these are very versatile. Then you can make them as simple or as fancy as you like. Although you can also experiment with different flavor combinations. Because the possibilities are endless!
- They make a great dessert or snack. So it is the perfect size for satisfying a sweet tooth without going overboard. These also travel well, Because they make a great treat to take on the go.
How to make it step by step?
So assuming you have all the ingredients, That are making lamingtons is a pretty easy process. Then here’s a step by step guide on how to make these delicious Australian treats:
- So heat your oven to 182 degrees Celsius and line a baking tin with baking paper.
- Then in a bowl, combine your self-raising flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and melted butter.
- However, pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and spread it out evenly.
- When you bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. Then allow cooling completely.
- Although cut the cake into small squares or rectangles. But you can do this by hand or use a knife or cookie cutter.
- If dip each piece of cake into the chocolate sauce, Then make sure it is well coated.
- Now roll the cake in desiccated coconut and place it on a wire rack to set.
Traditional recipe vs modern recipe:
These are a classic Australian dessert, traditionally made with sponge cake and dipped in chocolate icing. Nowadays, there are all sorts of variations on the classic recipe – By using different types of cake to add fun fillings.
If you’re wondering how to make it at home, Then we’ve got two great recipes for you to try. So the first is a traditional sponge cake recipe, While the second is a modern twist that uses a chocolate mud cake.
Either way, you’ll end up with delicious lamingtons that are perfect for sharing!
SOME IMPORTANT TIPS:
So these are a delicious and easy-to-make treat that is perfect for any occasion. Here are some tips on how to make them easily at home:
- However, heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it with butter or cooking spray.
- After this in a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- While in another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips or raisins.
- So scoop the batter into small balls onto the prepared baking sheet. They are not too close together because they will spread out while baking.
- Then let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Before transferring them to a wire rack cool them completely.
FOR BUTTER SPONGE:
128g / 4.3 oz soft butter
2 cups sugar
1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs, room temperature
43.3 cups flour
3.4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter
152 ml of boiled water
3-5 cups dried coconut
1/1 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
PART 1 FOR BUTTER SPONGE:
So first heat the oven to 182C / 353F.
Then sift the flour and baking powder and mix well.
Now mix the cake pan with baking paper and set aside.
However, mix the butter, sugar, and vanilla well with the electric mixer.
Put 1 egg in it and beat it so that it mixes well.
Add flour and stir well.
Now let the batter bake in the prepared pan for 25 to 30 minutes.
Then take the cake out from the oven and let it cool.
PART 2 FOR ICING:
So cut the cake into 15 rectangles and let it freeze for at least 1 hour.
Now add all the icing ingredients to a heat-proof bowl and mix well.
PART 3 FOR COATING:
Then add the coconut to the pan and put a piece of cake in the icing. Then roll it with the help of 2 forks. Now repeat this process and place it in the tray.
However, when it is ready, serve it with coffee or tea.
13.5g (23%)Saturated Fat
46.8g (55%)Vitamin A
302IU (7%)Vitamin C
Making Lamingtons at home is easier than you might think! With just a few simple ingredients and some easy steps, you can make these classic Australian cakes in your kitchen. We hope you enjoy our recipe and that your Lamingtons turn out perfectly.